It’s an uncomfortable statistic that women aged between 16 and 24 are most at risk from personal theft. But regardless of whether you’re young or old, we all need to take care when we’re out and about. So, the security experts at Yale have come up with some useful tips for keeping yourself and your belongings safe and secure.
1. Alarm yourself – although you should avoid travelling on your own whenever possible, its sometimes the only way to get home. So, if you do find yourself travelling alone, you should inform a friend or family member of your movements and you should always carry a personal attack alarm. Yale offers an affordable personal attack alarm that is small and discreet to carry, with ultra loud built-in siren, activated by pulling the hand loop.
2. Mobile safety – nearly everyone has a mobile phone but if you don’t, it could be worthwhile investing in one so you can contact friends, family or the emergency services wherever you are. BUT remember, if you do have a mobile, then always keep it out of sight, when not in use.
3. Be alert – always be aware of what’s happening around you. Although you should plan ahead to avoid shortcuts, alleyways and desolate places on your journey, even in busy places you need to be alert. Avoid, wherever possible, using headphones as this makes you less responsive to traffic, strangers or potential danger.
4. Mark it – marking your property with your postcode will help the police to identify you as the owner, if you’re unfortunate enough to have your belongings stolen. It also makes it easier to prove ownership.
5. On your bike - if you cycle to work or the shops, secure your bike with an appropriate bike lock. Yale offers a range of steel chain, cable or U locks, all of which offer high security protection, making sure you can get home easily.
Yale supplies a wide range of security products, including personal attack alarms and bike locks. All products are available from DIY stores, builders’ merchants, hardware stores and locksmiths. Alternatively, you can buy online at www.yale.co.uk.
For further product information or security advice, please contact Yale on 01902 364606 or email@example.com.